Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Launching into cyberspace

Well, "launch" is perhaps the wrong word. About a year ago, sitting up late (unable to sleep), with a mug of cacao and a raging fever, I thought "I know, I'll start a blog". So I did. The next morning I had no recollection of what it was called, what my password might be, or what provider it was with. Should I put up little flyers, "If you see my blog please return it to ..."?

This time I've made a note of the name, and of my password, so if you find this post and it stands alone you'll know that fever wasn't to blame. Sloth, most likely; or getting my fingers caught in the lawnmower blades.

No doubt all this time the question at the back of your mind has been "Why 'Beyond Brussels'"? No, it's not a sovereignty or world-government thing, it's just usually what I end up saying when people ask me where I live.

"And what else is on this blog?" you wonder. Well, I'm glad you asked that. I'm not entirely sure myself yet. In the last couple of weeks, for various different reasons, I've registered with facebook and wikipedia - a blog would be a sort of hat-trick for virtual interaction.

But as the debacle of a year ago shows, I've been thinking about it for some time. A place to try out ideas with complete strangers [or indeed friends]; to keep track of what I've been thinking; to objectify my experience as a practice of self-abnegation (no, seriously - it might not work but I thought I'd give it a go). All my attempts at keeping a diary (spiritual, intellectual, or appointments) have failed within the first week, which doesn't bode well for a blog but come back next week and see whether I'm still here.

No comments: