Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Newman's grave

It seems that there will be no primary relics of the Blessed John Henry Newman to be venerated. I can't help thinking this is somehow appropriate. Makes one wonder how archaeologists ever manage to find anything at all, really.

In an earlier post I mentioned reading Joyce Sugg's anthology of Newman's letters. It's a very nicely produced, clothbound OUP edition, that I borrowed from the university library. Monday night, splatter from a vomiting child hit the cover. I think I've got it clean enough to return, as long as the librarian doesn't decide to hold it up at an angle to the light.

And in recent purchases: Roderick Strange's John Henry Newman. A Mind Alive, a very timely publication.

4 comments:

Mulier Fortis said...

tory Fathers did remove some stuff very early on, so they do have some first class relics...

Paul said...

Gosh. Do you happen to know where they're kept?

Mulier Fortis said...

I think the Oratory Fathers have something... they've definitely got some of his hair...

Paul said...

Thanks. This would be in Birmingham, presumably?